{Book Review} Four Nights With the Duke by Eloisa James

Four Nights With The Duke
Series: Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers #2
By: Eloisa James
Published by: Gollancz on July 14th 2016
Genres: Historical Romance
Source: Library
Rating: 

As a young girl, Emilia Gwendolyn Carrington told the annoying future Duke of Pindar that she would marry any man in the world before him—so years later she is horrified to realize that she has nowhere else to turn.

Evander Septimus Brody has his own reasons for agreeing to Mia's audacious proposal, but there's one thing he won't give his inconvenient wife: himself.

Instead, he offers Mia a devil's bargain...he will spend four nights a year with her. Four nights, and nothing more. And those only when she begs for them.

Which Mia will never do.

Now Vander faces the most crucial challenge of his life: he must seduce his own wife in order to win her heart—and no matter what it takes, this is the one battle he can't afford to lose.
My first historical romance book by Eloisa James and I am certain it won't be the last! I finished this book in less than 12 hours and enjoyed it very much. The bargain was what drew my attention and made me curious.

The story starts with when Mia and Vander were young. Mia was humiliated when her secret poem to Vander was disclosed but instead of cowering behind, she showed her inner strength when she came out from her hiding spot to face the group of boys who mocked her poem. Vander was with the group. Fast forward many years later, Mia was faced with no choice but to seek Vander for marriage to keep her nephew with her.

What I like about the book is the cast of characters, especially Vander's uncle, who injected some fun into the story with his antics. I like the bickering between Mia and Vander too and how both of them slowly come to terms with their feelings for each other. I also love it that Mia is an author in the book! How exciting! The thing that had me frowning was Mia's low self-esteem due to her figure.

This book can be read as a standalone, which was what I did and I'm ready to dive into the rest of the author's books!