{Bookish Review} Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Me Before You
By: Jojo Moyes
Published by:  Michael Joseph (UK) on January 5th 2012
Genres: Romance
Source: Bought the book
Rating: 


Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.


Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.
If I were to summarise what I felt about this book in one sentence, it would be this--a depressing love story but still a good read.

I bought the book on a whim when there was a hype about it during the period the movie was released. I didn't watch the movie but heard lots about it so I was naturally curious about the book. The book started out good. I get to know more about the two main characters of the book and then WHAM! the accident happened and everything changes. The theme got a little depressing and dark and the new icy Will meets the chatty Lou. I enjoyed reading how Lou try to break down the walls Will had built after the accident. It's a good read for I am kept entertained throughout the book and wanting to know more about what was going to happen. There were funny moments, serious moments and fun moments in there. Would have given it a full five stars but Me Before You didn't move me enough.

Now, I'm interested to watch the movie. I'm still thinking whether I should be getting the second book. I probably will.

About Jojo Moyes

Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is married to journalist Charles Arthur and has three children.