{Bookish Review} The Book Jumper by Mechthild Gläser

The Book Jumper
By: Mechthild Gläser
Published on: January 3rd 2017 by Feiwel & Friends
Genres: Fantasy (YA)
Source: Library
Rating: 

Amy Lennox doesn't know quite what to expect when she and her mother pick up and leave Germany for Scotland, heading to her mother's childhood home of Lennox House on the island of Stormsay.

Amy's grandmother, Lady Mairead, insists that Amy must read while she resides at Lennox House—but not in the usual way. It turns out that Amy is a book jumper, able to leap into a story and interact with the world inside. As thrilling as Amy's new power is, it also brings danger: someone is stealing from the books she visits, and that person may be after her life. Teaming up with fellow book jumper Will, Amy vows to get to the bottom of the thefts—at whatever cost.
It's the plot that captured my attention and that cover. To be able to interact with the world inside a story is like a dream come true for readers like me. Just imagine all the possibilities and the adventures! How exciting!

Unfortunately, the book fell flat for me. It took me a long while to get into the book. I had to renew my book once because I was stubborn and wanted to read till the end despite how the story dragged on.

The main character of this story is Amy, a book jumper who didn't know she had this ability until she went to her mother's childhood home and her grandmother insisted that she read books there. There were two other book jumpers as well, Betsy and Will, from another clan. Long story short, these two families have been protecting literature since long long time ago and they were enemies of some sort in the past and now, there's someone lurking out there and stealing ideas from stories. The book jumpers have to catch the culprit before it's too late.

The book jumping and what happened in the stories was interesting to read but in terms of finding out the culprit, somehow it fell flat for me. I didn't really feel any connection with any of the characters. Although there was a surprising piece of information in the story, I'm disappointed that the story did not elaborate further on it or made use of it for something special. The final blow for me was how the book ended. I wished it didn't end it that way.

Having mentioned all the points above, the book does have its good points. I like how each chapter ended with some sort of super short paragraph that all links together to form another missing story. It's a refreshing element for me.

If you are interested in reading this book, just remember not to expect too much from the story and you'll be fine. Perhaps it was because it was a book about stories, I have quite a high expectation of it. I'm glad I finished the book!